Selection of Watershed: State Remote Sensing Application Center, Jodhpur (SRSAC) has prepared "Watershed Atlas of Rajasthan ". Watersheds have been delineated into macro / micro in each block. These have been prioritized on the basis of two important parameters i) extent of availability of cultivable arable lands and ii) Drainage Density. Besides this priority watershed with preponderance of resource poor, SC/ST population is given importance. Willingness of community to participate, contribute in the programme and to take up responsibility of post project maintenance of the created assets. Weight age given to these criteria for selection is as follows:
|S. No.||Criteria||Weight age|
|1||Watershed having acute shortage of drinking water.||5|
|2||Watershed having high number of BPL, SC, ST, SF & MF||1.5|
|3||Willingness of community to participate, contribute in the programme in form of Labour, cash, marerial etc.and to take up responsibility of pot project maintenance of the created assets||1|
|4||Watershed with preponderance of common land||1|
|5||Watersheds where actual wages are significantly lower than the minimum wages||0.5|
|6.||Watershed with preponderance of non forest waste lands/ degraded land.||0.5|
|7||Watershed which is contiguous to another watershed that has already been treated.||0.5|
- Identification of PIA & Watershed Development Team (WDT) : Reputed NGOs, Research and Training institutions, Krishi Vigyan Kendras, Panchayat Raj Institutions and state government line departments are eligible to become project Implementing Agencies. In pursuance of 23rd constitutional amendment, all Watershed Development Works under various schemes are being implemented through elected statutory body i.e. Gram Panchayat/ P.R.Is
- Watershed Development Team (WDT) A WDT comprising of four members agriculture engineer, agriculture scientist, Social scientist & Livestock scientist, is formed. This WDT provides technical guidance to the implementers i.e.Community Based Organisations.
- Formation of Community Based Organisations: Community Organisations at watershed level are formed consisting of user groups (Land and water resource based), self help groups (consisting of women and land less families), NWDPRA watershed committee (consisting of representative members from UG, SHG, Panchayat etc.), Watershed Association (consisting of all members of watershed area ).
- Capacity Building of CBO’s: For sustainable watershed development, the capacity of community is developed through different kind of training programs & exposure visits.
- Conduction of PRA: The PRA provides the information about the watershed resources.
- Conduction of Different types of surveys: The information collected in the initial PRA exercise is verified by conducting different need-based surveys i.e. Topographical, soil, present land use, water resource, socio economic, vegetative, livestock and survey of household production system.
- Preparation & approval of watershed Development Plan: The overall plan is prepared based on PRA exercise and different types of surveys and comprises of the following :
- Development and Management plan for soil and water (private land, common land and water resource)
- Development and improvement of farm production system of the land owning families
- Development and improvement of livestock
- Improvement of livelihood support systems for landless families
- Training plan for capacity building and skill enhancement.
The watershed association approves the plan at the village level in a formal meeting and later it is submitted for administrative & financial approval to the District Nodal Agency. Finally this plan is approved by technical committee of SLNA